Sunday, August 30, 2009

Summer in Seattle - Part 5


This week has included a little more introspection and a little analysis of if I really want to move up to Seattle post-graduation.

Contemplation- I love Seattle, at least in the summer. I've heard so much to fear for the winter. People get used to it, but I don't know if I can survive months without sun and weeks of continuous rain. On the other hand, people here are obnoxiously nice, at least compared to most placed I've been. The cars will wait for the pedestrian even though they could have cleared the junction before the pedestrian even gets there. They will be perfectly willing to take a picture of you if you ask. And they graciously answer any question on directions and the such that you may have.
In general, everyone seems to be more introverted and simply not care about how other really percieve them. I would say they are trying to make a statement, but they really just don't care. They have a long skirt/kilt store...only for men. And they seem to be straight men as well. Just an example of what you will see, only in Seattle.
Although there are 2 distinct reasons I do NOT want to live here. Many many smokers. Most importantly, streets/freeways are horribly labeled and I can never figure out where I am going. I've talked this through with Drew as well, we've decided its utterly rediculous.

back to the lighter side

August 26- the day before I put my name in for 2 tickets to the Mariner's game that night. I didn't win but somehow it worked out that my co-worker gave me his for the next time, the 26th. So I called up Drew and he said yes. We got there, got a bomb hot dog outside for $5, got inside and got some amazing garlic fries. Garlic-y enough to make Peter proud. Mariners beat the A's 5-3 and the game went by a lot quicker than it does on TV. it worked out great for getting free tickets 7 rows behind 1st base.

August 29-30- Saturday was a very relaxed day. That morning I finally went to play basketball with the roomates. And that day there were some impressively good ballers at the court and we got some good games in. Juliane also came over and we hung out with the roomates for some time and watched South Park and a movie. "I love you, man" is definetly a good movie to watch, if anyone asks.
Sunday I got some more touring in. After waking up nice and late, getting some Hawaiian for lunch and taking a nap we finally set out for downtown. First we saw the Seattle Underground Tour. That was awesome, especially for a budding geotech. So many soil problems on the old downtown. The whole city was built on mud flats that had excess saw dust thrown on top. For some reason this was not a good idea. But a fateful fire in 1879, decievingly close to the one in Chicago, let them reset the city. the most interesting part is that (this is where I left this post as a draft for a week and half and forgot what I was about to say)...But the tour was amazing and I learned a lot from the cynical tour guide. We then headed over to the Space Needle. Sadly enough, it took me this long to finally ride the iconic tower but it was well worth the wait. The view was astounding (where pic is from). A great 360 degree view from where I could see my house, lots of the Sound, the sports arenas and all of downtown. Epic view like no other. We then went our seperate ways and went home. A sight-seeing filled adventureful weekend came to a close.

September 5-7 - Labor day weekend! Thank god the construction site I'm working on is closed. If they were in any more of a rush they would have worked Saturday and Monday, which would mean I would have had to go out too. That's something I'll have to remember when I start full time, stuff like that will come up and I will be relied on to get it done. Anyways, this was the first weekend in ohhhh almost 6 months where I did absolutely nothing. I mean without a doubt nothing at all useful. I spent Saturday in Issaquah with J. Sunday we hung out around U-district. Monday I literally sat on the couch and watched football and cooked turkey patties for lunch during the week. I used the light drizzle outside as an excuse not to be productive, worked well. Oh, we were supposed to see Bruce Lee's gravesite, yea its in Seattle, but it was raining that morning so we decided to just cook a big breakfast and be lazy, that was a good idea.

September 8 - Drew got back from his weekend sabattical to LA, so we decided to celebrate with Taco Tuesday. I forgot how good homemade tacos are. Either way, after that we got to the theatre just in time for Inglorious Bastards. For the whole night starting on a recent whim, it worked out amazingly well in terms of timing, as always with Drew.
This reminded me of how much I miss being in LA around a lot of people I know. I've always had the opportunity to do something fun/exciting at any point in the day or night but never really took advantage of it. Not having those people in close contact, meaning not having more than 1 friend who I can randomly call and do something with, made me realize how much I appreciate it. And more importantly, it helped me think about how it would feel to move away for good after I graduate. Following up on an earlier conversation with Drew, it's really hard to move away at least initially. We really miss having so many close friends around. But sacrifices are often made. If the opportunity is good and everything seems worthwhile, then you just have to try your best to make friends in the new places. I think, if I had moved here permanently this summer it would be a very different experiance. More importantly, if I was 21 it would be much easier. Not because I could drink, but because it is at bars/clubs that you meet so many people. Even getting to know people at work and making friends requires you to meet them at the local bar afterwards. They all congregate at this local watering hole to just relax and end up really getting to know each other a lot better. Well, in a couple of months I guess I'll find out. Although, I won't need to while in college, there are much cheaper options of meeting people in college.

No comments: